Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Tasty Tuesday - Roasted Vegetable and Black Bean Tacos

I'm sure I've mentioned before that one of my best girlfriends is a vegetarian, so we are always on the lookout for good vegetarian recipes. I like meat but I don't feel it's necessary for a meal, which works out perfectly when we have friends over. I'm sure Rob would disagree with me on that whole meat being necessary to a meal thing, but that's besides the point. The point is we've found some really great meatless meals along the way and this is one of them.


I don't recall when I found this recipe, but I know it's been in our regular rotation for years. Its easy, healthy, and delicious, plus all of my kids will eat it. Or at least part of it. Brooke eating just the black beans and cheese counts, right?



Cutting up the vegetables is a little time consuming, but the cooking part is very easy. When I make these tacos, the ingredients will vary from time to time depending on what I have in the fridge. I think the black beans and zucchini are necessary, but if you are missing tomatoes, or peppers, or corn, it's not a huge deal. When I made the most recent batch I didn't have frozen corn so I added in extra peppers. It was still absolutely delicious.


Roasted Vegetable and Black Bean Tacos

Ingredients

3 medium tomatoes, cored and seeded, diced
2 ears corn, kernels cut from cob or 10oz bag frozen sweet corn
2 medium zucchinis, diced
2 medium yellow squashes, diced
1 purple onion, diced
2 red bell pepper, diced
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 15oz cans black beans, drained
1 lime, juice freshly squeezed
Corn or flour tortillas
Queso fresco 

Directions:

1. Preheat over to 400*.

2. Dice all vegetables and place on a large baking sheet.

3. Mix together olive oil, cumin, and chili powder. Drizzle over vegetables and then stir to coat.

4. Bake for 20 minutes.

5. Remove from oven and stir in black beans. Bake for another 10 minutes.

6. Remove from oven and squeeze lime juice over roasted vegetables.

7. Serve hot and garnish with queso fresco.

Notes: I prefer to warm my tortillas in a pan before serving. Depending on the kids moods though we often just warm them in the microwave. I don't care for cilantro so we don't garnish with cilantro, but it would be a good added garnish it you like that kind of thing. This recipe makes enough for a family of  6 plus leftovers. It's very easy to scale back the size. I sometimes feel like I didn't make enough drizzle and will prepare more, in my opinion it's better to have more. I've never felt like it was too much.


I fully intend to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. As you can see from the pictures, I load up on queso fresco because that stuff is amazing. I also will skip tortillas from time to time. I love carbs, but the vegetables are so good on their own, they don't necessarily need the tortilla. If you give this recipe a go, please let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment