Monday, November 2, 2015

Halloween Weekend

We had originally planned to kind of gloss over Halloween, but since our move got pushed back, we tried to fit a lot of last minute Halloween fun into a few days. On Tuesday we went to pick out big pumpkins from the pumpkin patch. Wednesday morning we painted our little pumpkins. Thursday night the kids got to wear their costumes to dance class. Friday morning we carved our big pumpkins, and thanks to a few free passes Rob brought home from work, we spent Friday afternoon with my parents at the zoo for their Halloween festivities.



Since we weren't planning to make a big deal out of Halloween this year, I told H and B they could pick whatever costumes they wanted. I've loved doing coordinated costumes with them, but I knew they'd love deciding on their own. Brooke almost immediately decided on a rainbow butterfly and stuck with it. Harrison went from a bee, to a lady bug, to a spider, to Lightning McQueen, to Dusty Crophopper. Dusty was his final answer, so a butterfly and a plane is what we ended up with. I have a twin skeleton shirt from when I was pregnant with H and B. I decided I would just wear that and call it a day. I decided last minute to paint my face to go along with the shirt, and boom, a costume was born.



Last year we went trick or treating in my parents' neighborhood. They have sidewalks on both sides of the street, our neighborhood doesn't, which makes for perfect trick or treating. We decided to do the same thing again this year, so we headed there as soon as naps were over. We got the kids ready, and they were out the door with Rob, Aunt Lynn, and Stewie the pumpkin as soon as trick or treat hours started. I knew I wouldn't be able to make it the full two hours, so Tyson and I stayed back for a little bit.


When Rob had to head back to work, Tyson and I joined in for the rest of trick or treating. Brooke and Harrison made it the full two hours, and I'm pretty sure they would have kept going if trick or treat hours were longer. They have enough candy to last them until Christmas, and lucky for them I won't be sneaking any of it. Well, at least not more than a piece or two. Before we headed home, Grandma warmed them up with hot chocolate and fresh baked cookies. Yay Grandma!


Harrison woke up wet from naps earlier in the day, and I didn't have time to switch over all of the laundry before we left, so they got to crash in our bed to start out the night. We stayed up late in hopes of maybe adjusting to daylight savings time, and then they passed out shortly after 10. Even though I don't sleep well while I'm in bed with them, a couple hours of slumber party time before Harrison's bed was ready was a perfect end to the evening.


Sunday morning they were up by 6:45, so much for staying up late. We spent the day cleaning up from all of our Halloween fun, and being bums around the house. I was pretty sore from so much walking the night before. We watched a lot of football, and both kids were terrors all day. I'm blaming it on the time change. Avocado Burritos were had for dinner, and the grown ups got to watch TWD before calling it a night.

This week is crazy busy for us. We have something going on every morning this week, and there are a few busy nights mixed in too. It was great to have a down day before the chaos of our week starts.

I'm pretty sure that Thanksgiving is going to be an afterthought now, thanks to our move, so I'm already looking towards Christmas. My first Target Christmas shopping trip is already planned for tomorrow while the kids are at school. Complete with my first peppermint mocha of the season. I'll make it a tall, but I can't always be expected to avoid sweets, right? ;)

On a mostly unrelated note, on Target's Cartwheel app they are doing 50% off one toy each day through the month of November. So if you don't have the app, download it and check it daily. I'm not holding my breath for any of the toys on our list to be 50% off, but if they are there will be some repurchasing and returning going on around here. I am always one for a good sale. Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment