Monday, May 25, 2015

Thoughts on Twins x 2

When we went through our first round of IVF, I knew twins were a possibility, but never really considered that we would have twins. When we found out we were expecting twins, I joined a well known pregnancy message board, and started asking all kinds of questions. All of the women were kind and welcoming to other moms of multiples.

Every once in a while a newly expectant mom or a hopefully soon to be mom would come into the group and express their desire to have twins. Then the long time members of the group would rip the soon to be mom apart for the mere mention of her desire for twins. I get it, I do. Carrying multiples automatically makes you high risk, and having multiple babies is a lot of work. 

When we were going through the planning stage of our current IVF cycle, of course the possibility of twins came up. Our first cycle worked so well, and there was no reason to think this one wouldn't as well. I absolutely love having twins, so without much hesitation we jumped at the possibility to have another set. It made me think of all those moms to be who said they wanted twins. I get it. It's amazing. Having two babies is a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun, and twice the blessings. Even on days when Harrison is acting like the Incredible Hulk and Brooke is tormenting him on purpose, I still love it and would do it all over again. 

We will be going in for our ultrasound tomorrow morning, and will know if we are expecting one or two babies. I fully believe I am carrying one baby. I've had a few dreams about singleton babies this go round, and my symptoms have been milder so far. Maybe that means absolutely nothing, but that's where my head is at. I think I've come to terms with a singleton this go round, so I will be pretty shocked if we see more than one tomorrow.

Robbie on the other hand is dead set it's twins again, and wants to hear nothing of the possibility it's not. He loves parenting twins as much as I do, and he's ready to do it all over again. 

A few weeks ago, before anyone other than us knew we were pregnant, I was at lunch with on of my best girlfriends. Harrison and Brooke were playing with Hot Wheels cars and coloring on their menus. They were behaving, and we were enjoying conversation without the constant interruption of a fussy child who needed something. I had my first "oh shit" moment of this pregnancy. Realizing how settled we are in our life and routines. How easy it is to decide to grab lunch last minute, and take an hour out of our day. A baby is going to change that, which is amazing and scary at the same time. Two more babies will really change it. I literally thought, "What did we do," and then I realized we sat in that exact restaurant when H and B were 4 months old. I nursed them, they dozed in their car seats, and a beer, pizza, and conversation were enjoyed then too. 

I know this is kind of a bunch of rambling, but I have a lot on my mind tonight.  Tomorrow is a big day, and I thought I'd share my thoughts on potential outcomes. Either way, I know we've got this. 

I hope all of you have a lovely Memorial Day weekend. We didn't do much, in fact the kids ran around in their underwear all day today. :) 

Thank you to all of the men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice for this great country. We remember and celebrate your lives today.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you tonight as you go to sleep and anticipate the big news, and tomorrow before and after you find out. Can't wait to hear/read the news, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete