Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tasty Tuesday - Healthy Oatmeal Banana Cookies

A couple weeks ago I had someone ask me to test out a recipe and share my thoughts. It's a cookie recipe, so of course I was down. A healthy cookie recipe, even better. I've tried similar recipes and wasn't too impressed. The flavor has always been good, but the texture was always off. Thankfully that wasn't the case with this recipe. I made a couple batches to try out a few different options, and they all came out moist and not chewy. The difference? Applesauce.




Healthy Oatmeal Banana Cookies

3 ripe bananas
1/3 cup applesauce
2 cups oats
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Optional add ins:
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut



1. Mash bananas in a large bowl.

2. Add remaining ingredients and stir until fully incorporated.

3. Drop spoon fulls onto silicone baking mat or parchment paper lined baking pans.

4. Cook for 17 minutes at 350 degrees.

Notes: The original recipe called for almond milk. I used unsweetened vanilla and prefer the batches made with regular milk. I used unsweetened applesauce and felt the cookies were plenty sweet. My favorite add ins were chocolate chips with coconut. Harrison and Brooke prefer the raisins.



Harrison ate 4 of these as a treat after dinner last night. He thought it was the best thing ever having so many cookies, and I didn't tell him otherwise. They are essentially an unsweetened breakfast bar disguised as a cookie. We are having a PJ day today since it's rather icy out, and I think we're going to bake another batch with raisins this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment