Sunday, March 15, 2015

Medication Start Date

We officially have a start date for injections. March 25th is when I'll be taking my first dose of Lupron. Come 9:00 that evening you'll find me with an ice pack, a syringe, and a vial full of drugs. I'm excited to start, but most of all I'm anxious. I don't remember feeling like this last go round. My heart was racing on the drive to an appointment at my RE's office. I thought it was because I was rushing to make it there on time, but I had a hard time settling down even after I was seated in the waiting room. It wasn't until I was sitting across the table from my favorite nurse that my heart rate started to slow.

Even typing about it now has me a little worked up. I don't know if it's because we're paying out of pocket, if it's because I know it's our last fresh cycle, or if it's because there are so many other things going on in our lives right now. I do know that I've never been more thankful for an acupuncture appointment. During Thursday's acupuncture session, I could feel my entire body relax. I didn't even care about the fact that I drank to much water before my appointment and it felt like my bladder was about to explode. I was beyond relaxed.

140. That's how many needles I received in my oversized box of medication. I will thankfully not be using all of them, but yikes! 

I received my huge box of medications on Wednesday. There was something oddly comforting about unpacking all of the vials and syringes. A sense of having done this before and being back on familiar territory. Since there are a couple new drugs in my protocol this time, I met with Brook at Dr. Bopp's office on Thursday to go over mixing and injecting the new drugs. Everything seems straight forward enough, but it was nice to have a little crash course. Menoupr is the biggest new one this go round. I have to mix liquid with powder, and then once it becomes a liquid, it then gets mixed with even more powder. It's not hard to do, but definitely a process I was happy to have laid out visually in front of me.


So now we're just biding our time over the next week and a half. I wonder if the kids have any sense of big things to come?  We aren't going to be telling them anything about what's going on until after a couple positive ultrasounds, but I do think they've noticed that mommy has been spending a lot of time visiting the doctor. Once we start monitoring, I'm sure they'll be coming to appointments with me, so I'm sure there will be some questions then. Although, maybe I'm over thinking it and it will be no big deal to them.

I am gladly taking suggestions on your best relaxation techniques. If you've done a fresh cycle with kids before, I'd also love any advice you have on answering questions regarding the process. Hit me with some answers, please!





1 comment:

  1. Since we dealt with 2IF, Abigail was 2.5 while I was going through all of my treatments. Basically I never mentioned it to her and I never took her to any of my appointments out of respect for the primary IF girls in the office. She never knew any better. I also just went back in my bathroom to do all of my injections. They go so fast and most were at night after she was already in bed.

    I'll definitely tell her about it all someday, I have a tattoo on my foot to remember all of our embryo babies, so it will definitely be something we discuss someday, but I found it easier to just not mention it to her for now :)

    Good luck starting on your meds! I took Menopur and you're right, mixing the powder and the liquid feels really tricky! But you'll have no problems. So much luck! xo!

    ReplyDelete